The Must-Watch Series of the Year: Penthouse War In Life K-drama review

I don't recall the last time I've been this invested in a Korean drama, but Penthouse: War in Life wins my favourite k-drama spot of 2020. Trust me when I say that this drama is ✨spicy

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in reviewing shows. I'm just an average person who enjoys watching to destress and voicing out my unsolicited opinion.

Plot

Penthouse is a suspense-filled drama revolving around the secrets of the wealthiest residents living in the exclusive 100-storey Hera building. To protect everything they have, they will do anything. This includes covering up their darkest secrets and plotting against one another. Meanwhile, Oh Yeon-Hee, a former opera singer, begins to seek her revenge after her daughter faces the same discrimination and abuse from inequality. However, their lives quickly become entangled after the gruesome death of Min Seol A in Hera. 


The Good

One of the biggest reasons I love this show: Cheon Seo Jin. If you've watched this show, you'd probably raise an eyebrow to that statement. 


I hate her, but I also love her. Despite being the despicable villain that she is, her role keeps the show going. Also, the fact that this was her first time acting as a villain amazes me. I've received a free ride on the emotional rollercoaster because of her acting and it'll be a huge shame if she doesn't receive an award because she really deserves it. A shoutout to the stylist and makeup artist as well because Seo Jin's outfits constantly reminded me of Disney villains.



But that's not to say that she's the only one who amazes me. I think overall the cast is excellent in portraying their roles, especially all the evil characters (which are a lot lol). The more you watch it, the more you discover how wicked certain characters are.Every character has a story to tell and almost everyone living in Hera has a despicable secret that will evoke the sense of justice in you. 


The Bad

Despite consistently leading in terms of ratings, the only minor l complaint I have is that plot started off pretty slow. 


I wasn't particularly interested during the start, but it increasingly got better. Once Min Seol A  was murdered, it was like dangggg. Every episode is so intense and so many secrets are being revealed.


Overall

This show is definitely worth the watch.


There are so many scenes that will leave you on the edge of the seat. Every episode kept me invested, particularly episodes 20 and 21 which were just released. My jaw literally dropped at several scenes because I wasn't expecting the escalation of events. So many questions ran through my head and I was left with "that's it? that's how they're ending it now?".


The show received such good viewership that it was extended and they are currently in the works of filming seasons two and three. My heart aches at the ending, but I can't wait to see how the story will continue to evolve, which characters will remain and whether justice will be served in the end. 



Stalk me on:

Instagram:



Comments

Popular Posts