Oh Look, It's Another Teacher-Student Romance Movie: Sensei Kunshu Movie Review

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in reviewing shows. I'm just an average person who enjoys watching to destress and voicing out my unsolicited opinion.




I'll be honest. I wanted to watch this movie because I thought the male lead was real cute. After watching the movie, I still think he's cute lol. I remember seeing the trailer for this roughly around Valentines Day period. But, I was inclined to watch it since I really like Japanese Romance-Comedy movies.


This is another one of those movies where the student falls in love with her unrealistically super handsome teacher. It's also based off a manga like many other Japanese dramas and movies.

I never really understood the concept of a teacher-student relationship in movies like these. But, I guess these kind of stories are popular in Japan. 

Don't get me wrong. I know some students usually have a crush on their teacher. However, in these movies, it's often the same generic storyline where the teacher ends up liking the student back, and he'll wait for her to graduate and *boom* a happy ending. Unrealistic much?

But I'm not complaining too much; I still watch movies like this just for the fun of it. My favourite so far has got to be "Close Range Love". I remember watching it in 2016 with one of my closest friend, and we loved it. Plus, I've rewatched that movie for at least three times already.


Within two minutes of this movie, I got annoyed by Ayuha Samaru's (played by Minami Hamabe) character. 

Ayuha Samaru is the main lead in this movie and gives off major deredere vibes. I'm not sure if her character was supposed to be like this in the manga itself, but GIRL, I honestly felt like Minami was stretching it a bit too far. Typically, there are a lot of animes with overly-expressive characters. I've watched the live action version of animes like this, but I thought that Ayuha's character was getting on my nerves.



If that's how Ayuha's character was supposed to be, then okay, I'll give her that. I don't think or know any high school girl who acts this dramatically. Plus, if there was a girl who behaved like this in public, I high key believe I would be annoyed at her as well.

It's probably meant to be funny, and I'll admit some scenes were hilarious. But, sadly, I was mostly annoyed. I'm not trying to bash her acting skills though. I thought Minami's character in Kakegurui was great. Even when she had to act like a psycho in some scenes, I wasn't entirely annoyed by that. This character was just a little too much for me. 


Anyways, Ayuha is supposed to be a high school student that's troubled by her lack of a boyfriend as, as she says..she wants to make out. Cool.


Moving onto my main highlight of the movie, aka Ryoma Takeuchi, who plays the Sensei Yoshitaka Hiromitsu.

He's always there to help Ayuha: paying for her meal when she forgets to bring money, helping her out of a fountain, driving her home cause she forgot her umbrella and he listens to her relationship troubles. This makes Ayuha fall for him, even though she tried avoiding him before.


Spoiler alert, but, the only time he confesses is literally like the last 10 minutes of the movie. As I said, the teacher always ends up liking the student. I don't think I've ever seen the sensei not end up being with the girl. 

Compared to other Japanese Teacher-Student romance movies that I've watched,Yoshitaka Hiromitsu is the youngest sensei I've seen. Honestly, he `could still pass off as a student.

Exhibit A: Sensei Hakura Sakurai from Close Range Love
Exhibit B: Sensei Kosaku Ito from My Teacher
Most of the time, in plots like these, the sensei behaves coldly towards the student. But, they show their concern towards the main lead in subtle ways. This movie and Yoshitaka's character didn't seem that different from the other teacher-student romance movies.


But unlike the other movies of a similar genre, this movie didn't have any parental objection where they report to the school, and the sensei ends up on the verge of being dismissed. Why? They didn't even show Ayuha's parents in any scene. Plus, their relationship wasn't as apparent since Yoshitaka wasn't that affectionate.

The sensei always has that perfect female friend, who's probably his childhood friend and it's highly likely she plays the piano or violin. This female friend always becomes the student's love rival.

Again, in movies like this, the student always ends up crying about that female friend's presence lol. They always portray the female friend as the one who's more suitable for the sensei because she's "perfect" in every sense. In this movie, the female friend is Aika Saimon, played by Yua Shinkawa. And yes, she also plays the piano.



But anyways, surprise surprise, the main lead's rival is always the one rejected even though she's had a crush on him for the longest time lol . I think a teacher-student romance movie that would surprise me is if the sensei ends up being with his female friend.

It's not a terrible movie. It's just okay and not my favourite.

I'm not bashing the manga though. As I said, I haven't read the manga before, but I've seen reviews of people saying that the manga is quite good.

When Should You Watch This?
1. When you're bored, and you've already watched "Close Range Love."
2. When you're bored




Thank you for reading:)
Hope this review was useful.


Stalk me at:
Instagram: @matchaslushie (beauty) 
                  @fartingpizzza (food)
                  @alifeforgod
On your phone? Check out https://matchaslushie.onuniverse.com
Email: matchaslushie@gmail.com

**images are from Google

Comments

Popular Posts