Fight or Flight?: Netflix Sweet Home K-Drama Review


I've was scrolling through Tik Tok recently and someone posted a snippet of the new 10 episode Netflix Series: Sweet Home. Just in those few seconds, my interest was piqued as it the scene resembled a Korean version of Stranger Things. 

I've avoided adding any spoilers, so this review is just a general review of the show. 

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in reviewing shows. I just enjoy watching to destress and voicing out my unsolicited opinion.



About:

Adapted from the 2018 webtoon series written by Kim Kan-bi and Kwang Young-chan, Sweet Home delivers a blood-filled horror series that will trigger your fight-or-flight senses. 


A reclused high school student, Hyun Su, moves to a dilapidated apartment after the loss of his family. He spends his days contemplating suicide and playing video games in his room. However, his isolated lifestyle gets disrupted when his neighbours begin to exhibit strange behaviours. These behaviours quickly surfaced as trending topics on the internet unravelling the outbreak of a new infection, where people turn into monsters according to their desires.


The Good

This show triggered my fight-or-flight senses especially since we're in a pandemic. I lowkey wanted to start packing emergency essentials in case a monster outbreak happens. 



I've never read the webtoon, so I have no clue how closely they've followed the original plot. But, I really liked the story. This show made me reflect about life, and I wondered what monster I would be if my desires were shown. But overall, the plot will leave you wanting more.


Each episode had me on the edge of the seat wondering who will survive and what monsters they would encounter next. Several fight scenes were pretty intense and gory. In case you're afraid of blood, you might want to skip this because there is a lot of blood in this show. 


The diverse characters and their backstories were enjoyable, even though there were characters I downright hated. I really loved Pyeong Sang-Wook, especially in episode one when he encounters the first monster and Seo Yi Kyung, the female heroine who does so much for the group’s survival despite her condition (you’ll know what I’m talking about when you watch it). Talk about major badass.  



The Bad
I wasn't a fan of how fake the monsters looked. Though I know it is CGI, the unrealistic look of some monsters kind of ruined it for me.


Explanation about the monsters would have been great. The desires of some of the monsters were easily interpreted, while I was clueless for others.


Overall

Altogether, this show is worth the watch and I'd recommend adding it to your K-drama list. Each episode left me wanting more and generally, the pace of the show was just right (i.e not draggy). I loved the cliffhanger they gave at the ending which made me excited to wait for season two.


Thanks for reading.


Stalk me on:

Instagram:

Comments

  1. Depo 20ribu bisa menang puluhan juta rupiah
    mampir di website ternama I O N Q Q.ME
    paling diminati di Indonesia, ::))
    di sini kami menyediakan 9 permainan dalam 1 aplikasi
    ~bandar poker
    ~bandar-Q
    ~domino99
    ~poker
    ~bandar66
    ~sakong
    ~aduQ
    ~capsa susun
    ~perang baccarat (new game)
    segera daftar dan bergabung bersama kami.Smile :d
    Whatshapp : +85515373217 :* (f)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts