Clear Start Review: Skincare for Acne Prone Skin

Clear Start has landed in Singapore and is now available in online Sephora stores.

During Circuit Breaker, my skin suffered badly from breakouts. To make matters worse, maskne has become an issue. If your skin is suffering, just know that you’re not alone. 


Clear Start has arrived at the right time to help with my acne issues, and I'm excited to share with you my thoughts on their products.


About Clear Start:

Clear Start was created by the brand Dermalogica and their products target breakouts, blackheads and shine. Their products are vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free and do not contain artificial fragrance. Clear Start also promises the exclusion of mineral oils, alcohol, and micro-plastics. 


Breakout Clearing Foaming Wash

SGD$35 (177ml)



This cleanser contains 0.5% salicylic acid, a popular skincare ingredient that penetrates the pores to dissolve dead skin cells and exfoliate the skin. Salicylic acid is my favourite skincare ingredient in targeting acne, and it has been a skin saver many times. If you’re new to the skincare community, trust me when I say that salicylic acid is your best friend. 


The Breakout Clearing Foaming Wash is a gentle yet effective cleanser that does not leave the skin feeling dry or squeaky clean. My sister tried out this cleanser after she ran out of her usual cleanser, and she enjoys how refreshing and gentle it feels. 


This cleanser is recommended for AM and PM use. Additionally, this cleanser contains 8 botanical ingredients like tea tree and camellia sinesis, known to gently soothe irritated skin. 


Blackhead Clearing Fizz Mask

SGD$ (50ml)


This fizz mask was a fun product to try out. 


As the name suggests, it's a mask that fizzes, and I found the fizzy sensation pretty interesting. It contains ingredients like Kaolin clay and sulfur, which helps to absorb excess oil, purify and clear the skin. Once pumped out of the bottle, it starts off as a normal cream, and in less than a minute, it begins to gently fizz.  


Personally, this was one of my favourites in the whole collection. 


To decongest my skin, I use this is mask once every three days. I enjoy applying this on my nose since I have more blackheads on that area, but you can apply it on your whole face if you'd like. 


Another reason I like to use this mask is to decongest my skin after I'm out for the day. I don't go out that often, but when I do, my skin always feels clogged from wearing a mask with all the makeup, sunscreen and sweat underneath. Using this quick and easy mask helps my skin to breathe again.


Breakout Clearing Booster

SGD$37




The clearing booster is a spot treatment that contains salicylic acid and niacinamide, which are two popular skincare ingredients that I love. It promises to kill acne-causing bacteria in 15 minutes on current breakouts and prevent future pimples from forming. 


This is a gentle spot treatment. Typically, I'll apply it on my cheeks as I tend to break out on that area. For the past few weeks, I've noticed a decrease in my breakouts. 


Niacinamide helps to reinforce the skin's defensive barrier and even your skin tone. This booster also contains seaweed-derived Chondrus Crispus extract that locks in moisture to help soothe irritated skin.


To get the product out, gently push the bottom. Since each bottle has 30ml of product, this would last for quite some time as only a little bit of product is needed for each use. However, one thing I dislike about the product is the scent, which lowkey reminds me of glue. Fortunately, the scent disappears quickly after application. 


Skin Soothing Hydrating Lotion

SGD$39






This hydrating lotion contains ingredients like squalanesalicylic acid and hyaluronic acid. I'm beginning to see more products with squalane recently. 


Squalane is a plant-based ingredient that softens and nourishes the skin. Additionally, squalane has been found to boost collagen production with regular use.


This is lightweight and hydrating on the skin, making it friendly for daytime use. 


Clearing Defense SPF30

SGD$37


This is a mattifying sunscreen that contains SPF30. I've rarely seen sunscreens that combats acne-triggering pollutants while protecting the skin against UV rays. 


To reduce shine, this sunscreen contains tapioca. I found that intriguing since I rarely see products with tapioca. This sunscreen is also formulated with willow bark extract, green tea extract and vitamin C to combat irritating effects of pollution.


It is lightweight and glides onto the skin smoothly. There is little white cast, and it sits well under makeup. My sister also tried this sunscreen out when she went for a run, and she claims that it absorbs quickly and feels moisturising. 


Overall:

My favourite product out of the whole lot was the Blackhead Fizz Mask. It's fun and great for decongesting the skin.



If you're interested in trying out Clear Start, check them out on Sephora.


Stalk me on:

Instagram:

Comments

Popular Posts