2019 K-Drama Favourites

Despite the number of K-dramas I've watched this year, only three have managed to make the cut on my list. Disclaimer as always: I'm not some K-drama expert, but I've watched a lot of dramas. This is just my opinion, so don't come at me. 

When The Camellia Blooms
If I had to rank my list of K-drama favourites, When the Camellia Blooms would undoubtedly be in first place for 2019. This drama is a well-balanced mixture of mystery and romance revolving around the life of a single mother, Dongbaek. 


The two leads had great chemistry and they were brimming with cuteness. Their romance was absolutely heart-warming, and I felt my heart melting by so many scenes. I've probably screamed into my pillow numerous times. Honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed the plot throughout this 20-episode series, and it left me eagerly anticipating the next release every Thursday on Netflix.

Honestly, Gong Hyo Jin looks really youthful in this drama - despite being a tired single mother. But, I love her as an actress anyways, which I guess, made me love this drama even more. 

My favourite scene that made me want to watch this show:



Hotel Del Luna
I was so amazed by IU's acting in this drama that I had literal chills. I mean, she's good in her other dramas as well, but this is the most outstanding for me. I think the stylists deserve a shoutout because her outfits stood out in every scene. Her outfits were absolutely captivating, and they brought out the personality of her character, Man Wol. Every accessory caught my attention because they went so well with her whole outfit. 


Overall, I loved the plot - it deviates from the typical romantic comedy story, and to me, it has a unique portrayal of supernaturalism keeps you hooked onto the show. The suspense and mystery behind Man Wol's personal story kept me engrossed in every episode. However, the ending was too underwhelming for me. Apart from the disappointing ending, Hotel Del Luna is still one of the best dramas I've watched this year.

Touch Your Heart


A cute and lighthearted drama that kept me entertained amidst stress from school. The chemistry between the two leads was so natural - it kept me hooked onto the show. I appreciated how the other characters also revolved around their plots. The ending was a tad cringe-y for me, but overall, I enjoyed the series.

Other shoutouts:
Ride Your Wave

This isn't a drama, nor is it Korean, but this movie deserves a shoutout. Ride Your Wave is a  beautifully animated Japanese anime movie that truly touched my heart. In fact, the trailer alone was enough to leave me feeling emotional. I think that the plot was great. I was just saddened by how the main character keeps seeing her ex who has passed away.  I thought was quite messed up. But yes, even the ending was like damnnnn. 

Love with Flaws

At the moment, I've been enjoying Love with Flaws. Initially, I was iffy about watching this show because of the whole Ahn Jae Hyun divorce scandal. It was a little ironic that he was in a show called "Love with Flaws" after Ku Hye Sun reported that he was divorcing her for the most absurd reason I've ever heard. 

But, I started watching the show to give it a chance - after all, the rest of the cast didn't do anything wrong. It hasn't disappointed me and it's the only K-drama I'm watching currently. It's funny and has a fresh romance plot. 

Update: I got really bored of the show towards the end. 

That's all for my 2019 K-drama favourites, hope you enjoyed!
Have a blessed 2020 ahead.

Stalk me at:
Instagram: @matchaslushie (beauty) 
                  @fartingpizzza (food)
                  @alifeforgod
On your phone? Check out https://matchaslushie.onuniverse.com


Comments

Popular Posts