Let's Eat: Qiu Lian Ban Mee Review

The other day I was at NTUC, and I saw these packets of noodles in the chilled noodles section. I can't believe I didn't find out about these until recently.  I am a dry Ban Mian fanatic, so obviously I had to grab one of these. #DryBanMianIsLife 

Don't get me wrong, I love ban mian (both soup and dry versions). My mum told me she ate ban mian everyday when she was pregnant with me. But, for me, dry ban mian is the way to go. The thing about dry ban mian is that not all ban mian stores sell it. I've also had bad dry ban mian before which was because they didn't have enough sauce or the sauce is too bland. The only dry ban mian that I absolutely love is from Holland Village.

When I saw these packets at NTUC, I wanted to try it out so badly. If this tastes good, it will make my search for dry ban mian much easier. Plus, it's roughly $3.45 per packet, which is cheaper than getting it outside.


The instructions are straightforward. I was quite surprised that the noodles only required one minute to be cooked. But then again, it also hit me how it doesn't take that long for them to make it at the hawker centres.


The sauce and noodles came in two different packets. The noodles were vacuum sealed, and on the packaging, they claim that they use premium flour and no preservatives. Also, there is a lot of sauce provided. I didn't use the whole thing because I felt like that would be a little too much. The sauce had a strong shallot scent. Not that I'm complaining, because I love shallots.





They also suggested fully thawing out the noodles to avoid clumping. I just left my noodles in for a little longer than one minute and used the kitchen tongs to separate any noodles that were sticking together.



The sauce came out much more watery/liquid than I had expected. I was expecting a thicker sauce. But like I've said, there's a lot of sauce inside, I didn't use up the whole packet.







I added some other ingredients that I love, such as Chikuwa and Tau Kee. For those who want a more authentic ban mian experience, you can add in some mincemeat. Also, I didn't attempt making a soft boiled egg (because I can't cook soft boiled egg), instead I just added a sunny side up egg. If you really like soft boiled eggs, get those from 7-eleven, cause their eggs are bomb af. 




Overall:
For $3.45, I think that it's not bad. I'll most likely buy another packet, and I want to try out their other flavours. I saw one spicy noodle packet, and I'm tempted to try that next. (Update: it's been a few weeks after and I did buy more lol)


The noodles were legit and the fact that it took so fast to cook = bonus points. I just wished the sauce was slightly thicker, but the flavour was alright. I still don't think that it can beat the Holland Village dry ban mian that I love. But this is great if you are lazy to go out and you need to satisfy your dry ban mian cravings (like me lol).


Thanks for reading :-)


Stalk me at:
Instagram: @matchaslushie (beauty) 
                  @fartingpizzza (food)
                  @alifeforgod
On your phone? Check out https://matchaslushie.onuniverse.com
Email: matchaslushie@gmail.com





Comments

Popular Posts