My Favourite Korean Dramas of 2018

There were roughly 66 Korean dramas released this year and although I like watching Korean dramas, I did not watch every single one of them. Most of the time I only watch what catches my attention, especially after seeing some clips on Instagram. This list isn't meant to offend anyone (#Don'tComeAtMeBro), this is just a list of Korean dramas I watched and really like.

Laughter in Waikiki



Aired: Feb 2018 - Apr 2018
Genre: Comedy
Starring: Kim Jung Hyun, Lee Yi Kyung, Son Seung Won, Jung In Sun, Go Won Hee, Lee Joo Woo.

Synopsis:
This show is about three friends who run a guesthouse that barely makes any profit, leaving them on the brink of going under. Kang Dong Goo (Kim Jung Hyun) aspires to become a movie director, while Chun Joon Ki (Lee Yi Kyung) wants to be an actor just like his dad. Bong Doo Sik (Son Seung Won) aspires to become a scenario writer. However, nothing ends up going the way they want it to. When things couldn't get any worse, they find an unidentified baby in one of their rooms.

This was my favourite show in 2018 and I've watched it twice (so far). I loved how it was super funny and a great way to destress, but they also brought in serious and sad moments. It was definitely one of the funniest shows I've watched (and I've watched a lot of Korean Dramas). It brought me comfort when I was feeling down, so this show holds a special place in my heart. 

This show was so popular, it was extended from 16 episodes to 20 episodes. In fact, there's a season two coming up. But I wonder if they will be using the same cast, especially since Lee Yi Kyung and Jung In Sun, who were revealed to be dating for a year, broke up.





Two Cops


Aired: Nov 2017-Jan 2018
Genre: Romantic Comedy, Mystery, Action
Starring: Jo Jung Suk, Lee Hyeri, Kim Seon Ho

Synopsis: Cha Dong Tak ( Jo Jung Seok) is a dedicated and upright violent crimes detective. He is desperately searching for the culprit who murdered his partner. After a series of events, his body is possessed by a swindler (Kim Seon Ho).

Yes, technically this show was not released in 2018, but it only ended in January of this year. I added it onto my list since I didn't make a 2017 Kdrama favourites, but also because I feel that it is definitely worth watching. It was funny and I really applaud Jo Jung Suk's acting because he was switch between two different characters.



Judge vs. Judge (Also called Nothing To Lose)



Aired: Nov 2017 - Jan 2018
Genre: Legal Drama
Cast: Yeon Woo Jin, Park Eun Bin, Kim Hyeong Goo

Synopsis:
Lee Jung Joo is a temperamental but diligent judge who often lets her emotions get the best of her. Judge Sa Ui Hyun is a well-known judge for his excellent use of the law. Prosecutor Do Han Joon is in love with Lee Jung Joo.

I really liked the storyline for this drama. I'm used to watching legal dramas that revolve around prosecutors and lawyers, but this time the story revolves around judges. After watching this, I wanted to become a judge. But that's normal cause I also aspired to become  a prosecutor after watching Witch at Court (which btw, is also one of my favourite drama series). 

The main characters were all played by young, but familiar actors and actresses. I mean, who can forget Kim Hyung Kyu's role as a vicious murderer in "Suspicious Partner".I also really like Park Eun Bin and I think she played her role really well. It was really different from her role in "Hello, My Twenties".



Something in the Rain (Also called Pretty Sister who buys me food)



Aired: Mar 2018 - May 2018
Genre: Romance
Starring: Son Ye Jin, Jung Hae In

Synopsis:
Yoon Jin Ah (Son Ye Jin) is a woman in her mid-thirties that has been dumped numerous times and is constantly pressured by her mother to find a husband. Joon Hee (Jung Hae In), who is in his early 20s, is the best friend of Jin Ah's younger brother. Joon Hee returns from being abroad for three years and Jin Ah is surprised by his change from a little kid to a masculine man. They fall for each other and their affection for each other grows deeper as they face obstacles in their relationship.

I did not intend to watch this drama initially because the trailer was kinda meh. But it was on Netflix and I decided to just watch it. I got hooked and I remember watching every episode immediately once it was uploaded on Netflix. It's not a romance comedy and most scenes are quite serious, so I think that some people might find this show a little draggy. But, I really liked it.




What's wrong with Secretary Kim



Aired: June 2018 - July 2018
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Starring: Park Seo Joon, Park Min Young

Synopsis:
Lee Young Joon (Park Seo Joon) runs a large company. He is handsome, intelligent, wealthy and physically fit. But he is extremely narcissistic and demanding, making it difficult for his secretary, Kim Mi So (Park Min Young) to work with him. Kim Mi So is a diligent and highly skilled secretary that has worked with him for 9 years. One day, Kim Mi So informs Lee Young Joon she is going to quit.

According to an online rank, this show is currently in first place out of all the Korean Dramas that were released in 2018. Okay, I wouldn't say it was the best drama of 2018.In fact, I don't really think it should be first place. First place for me was laughter in waikiki.

I don't think that it was that great of a drama or that it was any different from most romance kdramas that I've watched. But, for the hopeless romantics, if you're looking for a lighthearted romance series, I would recommend this drama. It definitely has a lot of cheesy scenes and a typical romance plot. I liked this drama mostly because of Kim Min Young's clothes lol (good job to her stylist). Plus, I watched this after my exams ended, so I would recommend this drama for stress relief because it does not have a disappointing ending that left a huge gap in my life (cough scarlet heart ryeo cough). 

The other characters in this drama, especially those working in the same office definitely made the show more enjoyable. I loved the funny characters, like Park Yoo Sik (Kang Ki Young) who is Young Joon's closest friend and Bong Se Ra (Hwang Bo Ra). 



Anyways, there are a few more dramas I'm going to to watch, like Thirty But Seventeen, To Jenny, My Strange Hero and The Player. I'm currently watching "Clean Now With Passion, which I've been enjoying so far. I'm also watching "Thirty but Seventeen" after seeing some clips on IG. If I love these shows, I'll definitely update this list. 

Also, I don't really watch Korean movies. Personally, I like Japanese movies better. But I did watch one Korean movie, which was "On Your Wedding Day". I liked the movie, but I wished it had a happy ending. 

But, I feel that I had more favourite shows in 2017 than 2018. Think about it, there was Fight for My Way, Suspicious Partner, Because It's My First Life, Go Back Couple, Mad Dog, etc.  I guess I preferred the dramas that aired in 2017. Hopefully, there will be more good shows next year.

Thanks for reading and till the next post.

Stalk Me At:
Instagram:
@Matchaslushie
@FartingPizzza

Email: matchaslushie@gmail.com


Comments

Popular Posts