K-Beauty Battle #1: Skinfood Strawberry Black Sugar Mask vs Black Sugar Mask Review

I bought these masks on my 18th birthday this year because I really wanted an exfoliating mask. Before I went out to buy these masks, I would often see the black sugar mask pop up as a popular suggestion for those looking for a good exfoliant. When I was at the shop, they were having an offer which was buy 2 get 1 free, so I decided to get it because my sister was also inclined on getting it, and I was definitely excited to see whether it was worth the hype. 





I really wanted to try both masks cause I didn't know if there was much of a difference between both of them and I wanted to see if there actually was any difference between the strawberry mask and the normal black sugar mask itself. 

The first difference between both masks is the price. The Strawberry Black Sugar Mask is slightly more expensive as it was $18.90, whereas the Black Sugar Mask was $16.90. Both products are the same size, and there's quite a substantial amount inside to last for a few months depending on how much exfoliation you actually do.


The cashier told me that I should apply the Strawberry mask on a damp face and the Black Sugar Mask on a wet face, which to me sounds like the same thing lol. 

I don't use the masks everyday because over-exfoliating can be quite harmful for your skin. I usually use these masks three times a week, which is the beginning of the week, the middle and the end of the week. I usually massage my face with this product for 5 minutes and I'll leave it in for awhile.

Between both products, the first impression I had was that the Strawberry mask was easier to scoop out and it was slightly more liquid-y due to the seed oil, while the black sugar mask was harder. I noticed that whenever I open the Strawberry mask bottle, the seed oil accumulates at one area.  

The black sugar mask may be slightly harsher for the skin,but it should be fine if your face is wet when you're applying it, so definitely apply it on a wet face. The Strawberry mask is gentler to apply because of the Strawberry Seed Oil and it wouldn't really matter if you're face is wet, but in case you're scared of the harshness, you could dampen your face. The Strawberry Mask was also sweeter in scent compared to the Black Sugar Mask.



The textures are quite similar once you've applied it onto your skin. You can really see the sugar when applying the mask over your face and when you massage it. It does make your face oily during application but both products leave your face feeling really soft and clean after washing off. As tempting as it seems, I definitely do not recommend tasting the product because it tastes horrible. I accidentally licked some when some of it got onto my lips and I have been traumatized. If you're curious, it tastes bitter and like a bunch of chemicals.

One thing I noticed was that the black sugar mask came with this additional plastic lid inside but the Strawberry sugar Mask did not (I wonder why actually).

This product does attract ants. I placed this two in my bedroom shelf and for several days, I realized that there was a trail of ants although I did not keep food in my room. I only realised that it was because of the masks because I accidentally had some product left at the side of the bottle after I used it, and there were two dead ants on it. You could leave the product in your fridge but I don't because my family will finish it without me knowing.

Honestly, I don't feel like there is much of a difference between the two masks. Both of them do the job of exfoliating my skin, which was what I was looking for when I bought these. I personally use the Strawberry mask more, but I do alternate between both depending on how much exfoliation I want. If you're looking for something gentler on the skin, I would recommend the Strawberry mask. But if you're trying to save that extra $2, the black sugar mask would work fine and it would be less harsh if you applied it on wet skin.

That's all for today.
Thank you for reading and until the next post :-)

Stalk me at:
Instagram: @matchaslushie (beauty) | @fartingpizzza (food)
Twitter: @matchaslushie

Comments

Popular Posts